Monday, January 9, 2017

Pancetta roll



Making a Pancetta roll seems to be very popular . I don´t use to roll my Pancetta but why not making a try for it.
The nice 3 kg pork belly have been inbedded with Nitrite salt and spieces for a week.
I used about  8% salt compared to the pork weight. Then a mix of herbs and peppers and a lot of garlic . The meat was turned a few times during this week.
After this week u get a much firmer piece of meat and a lot of juices from the meat.
Now u clean the meat in fresh cold water removing all salt and herbs on the outside. When the meat is dry enough it´s time for the rolling process, Very interesting process for the handy man....
I read u should start rolling it from the thicker side. Makes the roll easier.
Then u need some food cotton thread to start binding the meat and make sure the roll is compact all the way. I started from one side to the other.  Some experts can do this very nice and easy but I made it somehow. An extra hand can always be helpful for sure.

When the roll looks ready I sprinkled it with peppers herbs and garlic powder.
Then time to hang it in the curing room . My room right now 20 degrees Celcius and humidty 50%.

In a few weeks from now it should be ready to try. In a month from now I will have a first check.
Will get back with result and pictures when ready.

---

Now beginning of March after hanging for about 2 month the Pancetta is ready to be enjoyed.
Tasted fantastic! Probably the best so far. The wonderful taste and saltiness last forever in your mouth and u won´t be sorry for sure. Below some new result pictures.









No comments:

Post a Comment